Gardening for Beginners – 5 Essential Dos & Don’ts!
Summer is here and with warmer, sunnier months ahead comes the desire to get outdoors and enjoy the gorgeous weather! What better way to enjoy the summer months than spending some quality time gardening? Whether you are gardening on your balcony or patio, it’s a great way to either add some beautiful colour to the space or to grow your own healthy vegetables – either option is sure to impress your friends and family. For those of you who are newer to this horticulturist hobby, we have 5 helpful tips to ensure your green-thumb is ready to foster your garden to the next level!
1. Be Water Smart Even with this heat wave, there really isn’t a need to over-water your plants. Be smart with your watering – the general rule of thumb is to generously water flowerbeds twice a week and for those fresh veggies and herbs, same rules apply! Remember, it’s more effective to water less, more frequently.
2. Don’t Water at Night Though it may seem like a good idea, water at night encourages fungus growth due to the warmth and moisture. Water the heaviest in the morning to avoid this, as well, try not to water in the middle of the day since this is when it’s the hottest and the soil will soak up the water faster, leaving less for the plants to use.
3. Your Plants Need Nourishment Plants need more than just water so it’s smart to look into investing in some plant nutrient enhancements from your local gardening store to ensure your plants are getting all of the necessary vitamins.
4. Prune Away Be on high-alert to remove any diseased, damaged, or dead debris from your garden as they block airflow and growth. Remember, pruning encourages steady growth and builds healthy plants, it does not damage the plant at all! As well, weeds thrive off summer heat and steal nutrients and water from other plants, so get rid of them before they take-over!
5. Pests Be Gone Bugs are everywhere and trying to stop them from attacking your beautiful garden can feel overwhelming. Regardless, a thorough watering can help keep pests from ruining your garden and to stop those pesky winged bugs, try setting up some small traps around the space.
Now that you’ve received some helpful tips on how to nurture your garden, get out there and start making your balcony or patio a beautiful plant filled oasis! Impress your neighbours at Terra and who knows, they may follow your lead and start their own!